Skip’s Background & Credentials
Hi, I’m Skip Phillips –
As a resident of Warren County for 43 years, I sometimes feel that my whole life has been in training for the important position of Warren County Supervisor. I seek the opportunity to continue serving this great and fast growing county while preserving its colorful history that began well before its inception in 1846.
An alumni of Abraham Lincoln High School on Des Moines’ south side, I attended college and am a veteran of the United States Army. My background includes public and private sector positions in architecture, civil engineering and information systems. I’ve completed advanced degrees and other credentials in these areas which have supported analysis among my current positions in the county. I’ve managed large budgets and have overseen IT security systems.
Having been a small business owner as well, everyone you might ask would consider me a grassroots person who enjoys people. I’ve received several honors as volunteer of the year and citizen of the year. My work also includes having served in Warren County as Greenfield Township Trustee for 17 years and as Board President of the Northern Warren County Fire and Emergency Response Agency for 14 years. My wife Linda and I are parents and have grandchildren.
Moving Warren County Forward
Warren County is sharing in the growth realized by the Des Moines metropolitan area. Things are moving fast, and proficiency in decision-making is more important than ever. I have the technical skills in civil projects to support my oversight of roads, bridges and buildings infrastructure. With a solid human resources background, I’ll advocate for processes that solve the payroll and worker classification issues plaguing some of our county offices.
I’m not just about District 1 on the Board of Supervisors. My outlook is to move the entire county forward. I think strategically toward smart growth of neighborhoods, future workforce needs, population aging, and access to health services.
Please support me with your vote in November. I promise to work hard, utilize citizen inputs in decision-making, and uphold transparency in budgeting.
- Professional experience in civil engineering, residential and commercial design and construction
- Budgeting experience for multi-million dollar departmental budgets
- Professional experience in managing computer information systems, software programming and network security, Drake University
- Superintendent/Management of both short and long-term commercial construction projects
Public Sector Leadership
- President, Board of Directors, Northern Warren Fire and Emergency Response Agency, 14 years
- Trustee, Greenfield Township, 17 years
- Past President and Treasurer of Lincoln Alumni Foundation, investing over half a million dollars in assets
- Des Moines School District Volunteer Architect for Vision 2005 Plan
- Past member, Warren County Joint Planning Commission
- Organized the construction of Northern Warren Fire and Emergency Response Agency
- Owned and operated Phillips Construction Services
- Retired union carpenter
- Registered Architect
- Bachelors of Architecture, Engineering Department, Iowa State University
- Masters of Public Administration, Computer Information Systems, Computer Science, Drake University
- Doctorate (ABD) Higher Education Administration, Drake University
- Computer Programming Language Specialist certificate
- Computer Network Database Security certificate
- Graduate of Warren County Leadership Institute
- Trained BSAFE (Building Safety Assessment & Failure Evaluation) by Iowa Department of Public Safety & Iowa Homeland Security
- Resident of Warren County for 43 years; United States Army veteran; Husband to wife Linda (Lin) for 40 years, father and grandfather
- Volunteer of the year, Build Lincoln Higher Club, 1996
- Citizen Architect Volunteer, American Institute of Architects, 2009 – 2017
- Citizen of the Year, South Des Moines Chamber of Commerce, 2009
- Lincoln High School Hall of Fame, 2011